|Sebring Ohio Historical Society
126 North 15th Street
Sebring, Ohio 44672
|Backstamps include: Jade Ware by Sebring, Trojan with an outline map of Ohio, Ivory Porcelain and Golden
Maize, S.P. Co., Corinthian, Uncle Wiggly, Golden Ware, Sebring Pottery Company, Kokus China, Sebring
Semi-Vitreous Porcelain and a crown, The Sebring Porcelain in script.
|1887 opened in East Liverpool, Ohio in the old Anger & Gaston plant by Frank Sebring. One of the Ashbaugh's was a partner
at the outset. Ran by six Sebring brothers and two sisters. Moved to Sebring, at California Ave. and 15th Street between 1898
and 1900. Articles Of Incorporation filed 8/03/1891. Manufactured white granite and other decorated ware in dinner and tea
services. It was managed by Frank A. Sebring until the late 1920's or early 1930's. Part of the building was rented to the
Stanford Pottery in the 1940's. The Sebring Container Company also rented space.
The back of the plate has "L_______ Porcelain" (I can't read
the name) in blue-green letters, as well as "Art Ware, Sebring
Pottery Co., Sebring, Ohio." in gold letters. There is a
signature, "L. Shelley" to the right of the fireplace. The plate
is just over 9" in diameter.
The poem is:
EVERYBODY WORKS BUT MOTHER,
SHE CADS AROUND ALL DAY,
GOES TO THE WOMEN'S MEETINGS,
AND TAKES IN THE MATINEE.
FATHER TOILS AND WORRIES,
HE HAS A GOOD TIME - NIT!
EVERYBODY WORKS AT OUR HOUSE,
BUT MA - SHE'S QUIT!
Mother is holding a paper that says "WOMEN'S CLUB."
The child on the left is saying, "MA PLEASE STAY HOME
TONIGHT" and the child on the right is saying "SHUT UP."
(Dad is apparently so dominated by his wife that he says
nothing!)The signature (L. Shelley) is not on the back, but on
the front, about an inch above the man's feet.
photos above courtesy of
Owner of Dish is:
photos courtesy of Diane Sherman
Photos courtesy of Joe DiVincenzo
Photos courtesy of Jeanette Morris
Photos courtesy of Susan Demaris
Photos courtesy of Miriam Mueller
Photos courtesy of Tanya
Photos courtesy of Michelle Lancaster
above four photos courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment
Photos courtesy of Beverly Heartsill
Photo courtesy of Duffy Lederman
Photos courtesy of
Photos courtesy of
Photo courtesy of Bill Mayes
According to Oldetyme,
1899 founded as the French China Company
1916 became part of the Sebring Manufacturing Co along with Strong Manufacturing and
Saxon China (founded 1911). All 3 plants retained their individual names
1929 the Sebring group joined the American Chinaware Corporation
1931 the American Chinaware Corporation failed
1932 both French China and Saxon China stopped production
1934 they were combined and re-opened as the French-Saxon China Company
1964 purchased by Royal China Company of Sebring
Photos courtesy of Mary Gunderson
Photo by Kenny Lyalls
Photo courtesy of Tiffany Johnson
Photo courtesy of Mary Mulinix
Photos courtesy of Kathy and Dean
Photo courtesy of
Photo courtesy of Kevin Keilhaur
Photos from the Pearson family
Photos by Bob Mull
Photos by Pat Ashley
photos from Sally Krimmel
Photos from Pat Ashley
Photos from Jacqueline McClements
Photo from George Phillips
Photos from Nena